Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Old Love

Okay Kids, time for reflection.

The other night, I was sitting at the counter, eating supper with my parents. We had been sitting there for a while and it was pretty quiet. Both Mom and Dad were content and peacefully munching on their dinner. Every once in a while they'd look up and meet each other's eyes, following with a smile. Once or twice, dad looked up, as if to look for something (maybe salt & pepper, whatever) and before he even opened his mouth to ask for it to be passed, Mom had nonchelantly handed it to him as he thanked her.

As I quietly finished my plate and looked back and forth from one parent to the other, I realized how amazing this winessed situation really was. After 29 years of marriage, there was this beautiful comfortableness and relationship between the them. Old love.

Sometimes words are necessary, yet sometimes they're not. Sometimes you can love a person so much and know them so well that you can communicate with each other through a look or an expression. That's a gift.

Young people often talk too much. We feel such a need to be heard. We're missing the beauty of silence and the comfortableness of quiet. This comes with age, with experience. I get it. And I'm beginning to realize that this is something that needs to be learned and will grow within time. Young love. We learn by experience. We grow through time.

Warren and I are young. We're new. We are only beginning on this journey they call marriage. I gotta say, having a relationship as close and as wonderful as my parents to watch and learn from is a blessing. Each stage of love, whether it's young or it's old, is a treasure and is something to acknowledge and enjoy at every stage.

I learned a lot at that particular supper, as quiet as it was.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

i really hope i have that. as time goes on - i can start to read Rod's mind very well - but i want that peacefulness, the look that just says I LOVE YOU! we have an incredible life together, i am so blessed - but i can't wait to be "older" together! ya know? love ya Cyn!