Monday, November 20, 2006

You Want an Update? I'll Give You an Update...

Life - at large - is a very good thing. Man, has it been changing for me this past year. My world is so different from a short 11 months ago - when I was a single, Ontarioan (is that a word?), living under my parents' roof and working for the big guy. Wedding planning consumed my scheduele and dreams of becoming a wife consumed my thoughts. For months on hand, Warren and I were apart (yuck) and my evenings were full of phone calls from Alabama.

Now, fast forwarding to the present tense, I am a wife (of almost a year), living in Saskatoon, SK, in a new house we designed and had built. I work at the Willows Golf and Country Club and Warren's an Optometrist, practicing here in the city out of the Canada Building downtown. I'm finally living close to my big sister and bro-in-law and their two little munchkins, which I love...and far, far away from the rest of my family, which I hate. I am having so much fun being a little Martha Stewart in our very first home together - I really love cooking, cleaning and entertaining. Seriously. Our evenings are full of errands, phone calls, emailing, visiting with friends and family, and of course, watching our obsession on TV - Grey's Anatomy.

This summer was a busy one. We moved to Saskatoon at the end of June, right after Warren's grad - just in time for Brad (Warren's brother) and Angel's wedding. We love hanging out with these two - never a dull moment when you're in their company. Angel's my newest sister and I love that girl. She's a riot. One line after another.... Her and Brad are ranching out near Watrous, SK and living the cowboy life. Angel also has her own business on the go, which I think is pretty cool. It's a clothing company which she named "Halo Rodeo Co.", selling women's western wear. She's got some pretty trendy, out there stuff.

More recently, Warren's youngest brother, Devin, and his girlfriend, Laura, just got engaged. We're exstatic for them! Laura's a real sweetheart and we can't wait to complete our Toews family. I get another sister!! It's so great watching the two of them together - giddy, excited and anticipating a full life together. What a blessing. They are planning for a June 2007 wedding.

If the twinkling Christmas lights and store window displays haven't already given it away, I am overjoyed at the fact that the Christmas season has found us once again. In a month, we'll be busily wrapping presents, munching on sugar cookies and replacing our regular tv sitcoms with Christmas specials. Christmas carols - which for some reason, I never grow tired of - will serenade us from errand to errand and the smell of gingerbread and evergreen will overwhelm our senses. Yes, it's that wondeful time of year and Warren and I couldn't be more excited. And this year will be different once again....very different.

My brother, Steve, and his fiance, Vicki, will be getting married on the beaches of Mexico! Yeah, he is! And so, another wedding. And another sister!! Vick's the best! She's been a part of the fam for quite some time now and a good friend of mine for even longer. She brings out the best in Steve and we couldn't be happier. When she asked me to stand up for her as a bridesmaid, I was extremely honored. On December 17th (which happens to be mine and Warren's first anniversary), the whole gang flies down to the Mayan Riviera together for a full week of swimming, palm trees, tanning, pina coladas, and catching up. Hello good times! At the end of the week, on the 21st, those two crazy lovebirds will say their vows barefoot and on the beach. The following day, as they continue on to their honeymoon, the rest of us will fly home to Ontario for Christmas. There is much to look forward to and the season has only begun.

And so, life keeps moving. Changing. Evolving. Growing fuller. Whether it's new additions, old memories or things to look forward to, God continues to bless and push us forward. And that is a very good thing.*

3 comments:

jupo said...

wow, lots can happen in one year, hey? that's all so exciting... so many good and happy things!
next time we're out in stoon we'll have to hook up (and i wanna see this house you guys designed... so jealous!)

carissa said...

Hey Cyndy...cool blog! I'm a friend of Devin and Laura's, and I'm also Matt and Patti's sister/inlaw!! Just thought I'd stop by and say Hi!
Carissa

Jen said...

I'm so jealous that you have a house already! This is Jen Birkland (used to be Bueckert) We were at Bethany at the same time I think. My hubby and I tied the knot in June. I have a blog too www.i-love-life.blogspot.com Your house looks beautiful!

Jen