Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A Masterpiece, After All These Years

RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER® recounts the tale of a shy, young reindeer whose Christmas spirit is dampened because his shiny red nose has made him the laughing stock of all Christmastown. Frustrated by their inability to fit in, Rudolph and his friend Hermey, the Elf who wants to be a dentist, set out on their own. However, they soon find themselves pursued by the Abominable Snowmonster. They flee to the island of Misfit Toys in the Arctic wilderness where Yukon Cornelius, a prospector they meet along the way, comes to their rescue. Returning to Christmastown, they learn that bad weather may cause Christmas to be canceled. But Rudolph's headlight--his illuminated nose--saves Christmas by serving as a beacon to guide Santa's sleigh.

Last night, after lots of flipping, I stumbled across this old 1964 classic - also a Bartel favorite for many, many years. I was ecstatic, and forced a less-than-enthused Warren to sit and watch(enjoy) with me. By today's standards, the animation is terrible, but I think it's adorable and I love it every year I see it. The message is so clear and so relavent, even years after the making.*

3 comments:

Jon Bartel said...

i can't believe i missed it!!

i think the cbc (boo hiss) is playing christmas classics almost every night right now.

jon

Jarvis and Rhea said...

Cyn,

I can't believe I missed it!! This was always a Matthies tradition as well...and I still love watching it. I wonder if it is on video that you can buy...cause then I should get it so my kids can watch it too!

Jarvis and Rhea said...

I mean.....someday my kids can watch it...