Friday, July 27, 2007

Forever Changed

I have so much to say, but every time I've gone to type something this week, I'm left staring at a blank screen, tears welling up in my eyes.

I've been so overcome with grief and sadness for a guy I only knew of, never really having any real contact with him. My heart just aches for his wife and his family. The tears just won't stop.

As I've spent a great deal of time reading related blogs, comments and facebook entries this week, I've been overwhelmed by this amazing Christian community holding up the Toews family. In a time that seems impossible, where the tears are never-ending and an extreme amount of exhaustian has taken over, all we can do is hold them up in prayer and believe that God will do the rest.

We question. We ask, Why God? Why Nate? And why at such a young age when he was clearly living his life for You? But in the end, I have really been snapped back to a humble reality this week - God is in control and He will decide. Questioning is an endless circle. We are human. We can't possibly understand God's ways. We're small, standing before our Big God. He has always known that Nathan would come home to live with Him at this time, even back on the day he was born. He knows that timeline for all of us.

We seem to think we're invincible. I often do. We get so caught up in day-to-day stuff, that we almost get cocky and lazy in how we're spending our time here on earth and how we're fostering our relationships. Nate's story has richly affected me. I've never felt this way before, it's something pretty big. I believe that God is doing amazing things though this incredibly tragic situation, and changing people through it. Talk about an intense sense of timing. On a day where the Toews family experienced a horrific death in the family, they also experienced this miracle birth, welcoming Caleb Nathan into the family. That's our God.

I stand, I stand in awe of You.

How am I living my life? What would people say about me if I died? It's been a huge question in my mind this week. I can't shake it. It has brought me to a quiet place.

I thought Jamie said it so well in her last blog entry. We are God's. Our bodies are not our own. They are simply shells, a holding space for our time here on earth. What an encouragement to know that Nathan isn't dead. Physically, he's gone, but he is alive and well, prasing his Father in Heaven. That's a blessing.

More than anything, I want to wrap my arms around Rosanna and the rest of the family during this time. I am praying for you constantly. Time will ease this excrutiating pain you feel. It will. You will always miss Nate, always. But we serve a loving Father who understands and will walk with you the whole way. You will never be alone.

I am forever changed.*

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I feel much the same way Cyndy. I didn't know Nathan either, but I have not stopped thinking of the family all week. Strange how your heart can be so sad for the loss of someone you didn't even know...It's made me think a lot about my family, appreciate the times together, and wonder how we would all go on if we lost someone, made me wonder what people would say if I was gone. And the birth of Caleb reminds me how amazing God is, how He is always faithful, how He is always sovreign. What a week.

Janelle said...

wow Cyn. that's exactly how i feel - but you put it so much better than i ever could. this has affected me in ways i never knew possible. but as you said - we will never be alone.
how awesome is that! love you.

Trev and Rebekah said...

I hear ya. I am forever changed too. It's been hard for us as Trev was good buddies with Nate.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I too have often wondered if anyone would care if I died. This week I realized that isn't important. What's important is how I live my life for Jesus.

Cheri said...

Hey Cyndy: I have also been greatly affected by this as well. We knew the Toews family a little bit but not really well and we went to bbi with Erik and Jamie. But I think that in hearing how everything happened and the thinkgs that are now happening, you don't need to know him/them. It's just an amazing thing God is doing through the story! Feeling some over you that you didn't know were really possible or wonder why it affects you so deeply. It is all God's doing! I just think it is sooo awesome and amazing how God is working in such a tragedy and am very excited to hear the stories yet to come about how lives have been changed! God is in control and he is awesome and amazing-even if it is hard for us at times. He knows what's best and his plan is perfect...

Michelle said...

Wow Cyndy....you summed it up beautifully! I don't know Nathan either but my heart aches for his wife and family. I couldn't imagine being in any of their shoes and I thank God for His blessings of my family everyday.

You put it just right too when we question God. We don't His infinite plan for our lives. All we can do is run the race the best we know how and ALL for Him.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It was a great encouragement!

Bonnie said...

Nate was just so special to us. Life will never quite be the same. The pain is so raw. It cuts to deep. I'm just so thankful we have a God who wants to cuddle us close and wipe our tears away-- a God who loves us so much we can't even fathom it. Nate was an incredible man, one that will never be forgotten or replaced. May God bring healing and comfort to Rosanna and the family, even when it feels it may never come.
Hugs to you Cyndy. Thanks for sharing your heart.