Friday, December 07, 2007

White Lily

A time of suffering to God isn't hopeless. It's an opportunity for growth and it's the road to a closer relationship with Him. That's the idea anyway. But we don't usually see that right away. Our capacity of seeing beyond the here and now is often shadowed by the sorrow and the loss we feel. It's very real and very now and that's okay. We need to feel everything. We need to move through all the phases at the right time.

But there's something beautiful about the way God reasons with us, each of us on such a personal level and in such a way that only we can understand and make sense of. He knows what we need and how we need to hear it. He understands how we're wired and what will bring us comfort during a time where the tears flow freely and the hole in your heart only grows.

It was with an extremely heavy heart that I shuffled into our kitchen in the morning a few weeks ago, tear-stained eyes, shaky limbs, pounding head. I was hanging by a thread and felt things I just didn't know how to deal with, how to make sense of. As I entered the room, I lifted my head and scanned my surroundings. As I gazed out our back patio doors, the corner of my eye caught something that left me breathless. I looked down at the plant sitting at my feet and noticed a large white lily standing tall and in full bloom high above its leafy canopy below. The sun poured through our windows and there was a very obvious ray of light spotlighting this wonder, specifically lighting up the flower. Incredible. We've had this plant for a year and a half and there has never been any trace of a flower on it, I didn't even know that this was a flowering plant. Actually, just the night before, I had watered it and there certainly was no flower or even buds in sight. God knew. He knew. He knew that more than any sympathetic word, any hug or any perfectly written note, a visual picture of life, of beauty and of love was what I needed.

I cherish the idea of God as a Father. I envision a man with a soft expression of his face, kind eyes and gentle hands, scooping me up in his arms and holding me tightly. The comfort that I feel from that illustration is unexplainable. Maybe it's because of the relationship I've always had with my own Dad. Maybe it's because of the simplicity of God's love. It's not complicated. It's right in front of us.

As my white lily continues to stretch upwards, I am trying to do the same. I'm growing and I'm trusting. I believe in the promises of my God.*

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

Cyndy... I don't know the circumstances, nor do I have words that will necessarily bring comfort in this time. But your post is beautiful and you are beautiful and I'm so thankful you had that "moment" with God. Such an incredible way for him to show his realness to you. May you feel him draw you closer and closer to himself.
Love to you my friend.

Andrea said...

Thank you Cyndy. Your post is beautiful as is your way with words.

Trev and Rebekah said...

My heart is heavy for you right now. I hope that you have people in your life who you can share with and who will walk with you through this time. I am just an email away too. I think it's neat that God spoke to you in a way that only He knew you needed.

Janelle said...

beautiful Cyndy. I've felt like this alot lately - and in the past...and i just wish i could take some of this for you. i feel like i could've helped write this post as the emotions are much the same that I've been feeling. i love you & i'm so thankful that you are able to look to God & find comfort in His faithfulness and in His awesome power. He'll pull you through - He always, always does. And He causes us to stand back & just be in awe of how He got us through that time. I'll be praying for happier days ahead!! :) :)

"I've had questions without answers
I've known sorrow, I have known pain
But there's one thing that I cling to
You are faithful, Jesus You're true

When hope is lost
I call You Saviour
When pain surrounds
I call You Healer
When silence falls
You'll be the song within my heart

In the lone hour of my sorrow
Through the darkest night of my soul
You surround me, You sustain me
My defender for ever more

When hope is lost
I call You Saviour
When pain surrounds
I call You Healer
When silence falls
You'll be the song within my heart

And I will praise You
I will Praise You
When the tears fall
Still I will sing to You
I will praise You
Jesus praise You
Through the suffering
Still I will sing to You

When hope is lost
I call You Saviour
When pain surrounds
I call You Healer
When silence falls
You'll be the song within my heart

I will praise You
I will praise You
When the tears fall
Still I will sing to you
I will praise You
Jesus I will praise You
Through the suffering
Still I will sing to you

When the laughter fails to comfort
When my heart aches, Lord You'll be there
When confusion is all around me
And the darkness is my closest friend
Still I'll praise You
Jesus praise You"

Tim Hughes

Janelle said...

i know you wrote this post a long time ago - but i needed to come back to it today...it popped into my head today - and i remembered how it encouraged me. i needed it today.
thanks so much Cyn.
i'm thinking about you lots lately - and hoping you are happy & healthy - and i hope i get to see you soon! :)
many blessings.